If my motorcycle engine seized while driving am I at fault for the accident?

If my motorcycle engine seized while driving am I at fault for the accident?


If my motorcycle engine seized while driving am I at fault for the accident?

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 06:07 AM PDT

Here's the story I purchased a Suzuki GSF a few days ago from a private seller. I looked over the vehicle and checked over everything afterwards I brought the motorcycle to the station across the street and had it inspected. Everything checked out, I put full coverage insurance on the motorcycle which was to include everything. The next day I rode it to my work it drove fine and I parked it in the parking lot (my work is approximately 3 miles from my house). After work I went back to my bike and drove off, withing 30+/- feet of the parking lot the engine locks up entirely and the rear wheel locks and skids out from under me, flipping the bike sideways as i was in mid turn. The bike discharges me and long story short I'm in the hospital and the bike is totaled. (I was only going about 15 to 20 miles an hour but on a 500+ pound bike it makes a huge difference) I call my insurance to report the matter, And they inform me that since there is no recall on the bike that it is my fault for the accident. I find this difficult to believe I have owned 5 motorcycles and been driving motorbikes (including 4 wheelers and dirt bikes) for 12 or 13 years now. How on earth would anyone be able to know there was a fault within the engine without taking the bike apart? Does this sound normal to you? Does anyone have any insight or past experiences with insurance companies and locked engines? Secondly they told me that as a motorcycle operator I should have been able to recover the bike without any accident...Now just think for a minute, If your crouched in on a bike accelerating through a turn and instantly the bike locks up and discharges you, how in the #$%$ are you going to prevent the bike from being in an accident? For your reference the bike has been determine seized by a mechanic, and is to be taken into the insurance companies holding area today for further review. Also I have multiple witnesses to the event all who witnessed the bike lock up. I am not knew to riding, but I am new to a seized engine while riding. Here's what the insurance company says is the main reasons its my fault 1. I should have know the engine was going to lock up. 2. I should have handled the lock up in a better way causing the bike not to be damaged. Can someone please tell me how on earth with any reason I would be able to do either of those things? Is my insurance company just trying to screw me on this?

0 comments:

Post a Comment