Should I remove this gelfoam on my pinky finger?

Should I remove this gelfoam on my pinky finger?


Should I remove this gelfoam on my pinky finger?

Posted: 15 May 2012 01:26 AM PDT

I sliced out a small chunk of my pinky finger on a sharp edged stainless steel light switch cover and went to the ER and they stitched a piece that was about ripped off and put gelfoam on the area where my flesh got ripped out to stop the bleeding. Well It's been 16 days since I went to get it fixed and I took all the stitches out a couple days ago myself except for 1 which is obstructed by the gelfoam which is practically welded to my finger. There aren't any signs of infection. The gelfoam is mostly hard and soaked in blood and is blackish because of that. and its completely dry. I need to know when should I be considering removing it, at this point it looks like it will take months before it will dissolve. The nurse gave me 1 pack of gauze and a extra gelfoam, and told me in two days to change everything, but from the documentation given to me by the nurse, it says on the gelfoam page to specifically not remove it and doesn't say anywhere about replacing it period, so I don't know what that nurse was thinking, I was trying and just about to pull it off 2 days after I came home, could of ripped my skin off, but I read some shit on google and found out that it might be a bad idea.I felt like killing that nurse, he told me to replace everything and my mother was there and heard him tell me and that's what she thought he said too. and there's not much info on the internet about removal besides a couple people asking a similar question as me. From what iv'e read it is supposed to dissolve, but over 2 weeks have gone by and they are gonna be turning into months and I want to know when it's time to say "hey!"that has been on there long enough and should be removed, and I have a stitch that could possibly get infected because the damn gelfoam is in the way so time is of the essence. I have read from a doctor online that you can remove the gelfoam with saline supposedly, however you risk re-opening the capillaries. I'd just leave it alone and hope it would dissolve if that stitch was removed but it is right next to the gelfoam and is very difficult to see good enough to remove it. so that's my predicament. I would appreciate any advice you could give me. P.S. I have no insurance so going back to get the stitch removed ect. is not an option. and the gelfoam package says its ChloraPrep One Step 2% w/v chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) and 70% v/v isopropyl alcohol (IPA) 1.5ml frepp applicator

0 comments:

Post a Comment